Racial profiling is, by definition: a law enforcement-initiated action based on an individual's race or ethnicity or national origin rather than on an individual's behavior or on information identifying the individual as having engaged in criminal activity.
Racial profiling is strictly prohibited by law and profiling based upon national origin, race, ethnicity, sex, age, sexual preference, religion or creed is strictly prohibited by the Taylor Police Department.
Anyone who feels they have been profiled or witnessed any kind of police misconduct are strongly encouraged to complain immediately. The nature of police work is such that it is often performed by a lone officer in a police unit. Law enforcement administrators rely greatly upon citizens to complain to inform them of police misconduct or bad practices.
We have many measures in place to ensure our officers do not engage in racial profiling.We are excited that we now have our new in-car digital video system in place. This system enables supervision and administration easier access (than the current VHS system) to retrieve instantly stop and contact recordings. These will be sortable by many parameters to include race and ethnicity of the individual stopped. Additionally, the system captures a period of time (from a pre-recorded loop) that captures pre-event video, thus allowing us to view what occurred prior to the recorder's activation.
While analysis of data is an important component in insuring racial profiling does not occur, to be effective this analysis must delve much more deeply. It is the position of the Taylor Police Department that we need to critically review each stop, each contact, each report to insure we are providing fair and equitable treatment of all people.
Racial Profiling Data and Reports
- Racial Profiling - TCOLE 2020
- Racial Profiling - Total Traffic Stops 2020 and Demographics Comparison
- Racial Profiling Report 2020
- Racial Profiling - TCOLE 2019
- Racial Profiling - Total Traffic Stops 2019 and Demographics Comparison
- Racial Profiling Report 2019
- Racial Profiling - TCOLE 2018
- Racial Profiling - Total Traffic Stops 2018 and Demographics Comparison
- Racial Profiling Report 2018
- Racial Profiling - TCOLE 2017
- Racial Profiling Total Traffic Stops 2017 and Demographics Comparison
- Racial Profiling Report 2017
See Racial Profiling Data 2002-2009
Racial profiling is illegal and will not be tolerated!